Having created lists of concerts I have attended, bands I have heard, galleries I have visited, etc, I overlooked theatre productions I have seen. Herewith a list, sometimes annotated, to be updated as and when I remember additional events.
- The Tempest, by King’s Shakespeare Company, under Hannah Elsy (director) and Aja Garrod (producer), at The Rag Factory, Heneage Street, Brick Lane, London, December 2013. Outstanding performances by Imogen Free (Ariel) and Max Funcheon-Dinnen (Stephano). The modern touches worked very well, and brought the play alive. Was a full house.
- The Magic Flute, by English National Opera, directed by Simon McBurney, London, December 2013. As always with this director, there were some stunning visual effects, for instance, the shoals of actors representing birds, each fluttering folded paper to produce a rustling sound.
- Marlowe’s Edward II, by The National Theatre, London, October 2013.
- Richard II, starring Eddie Redmayne and directed by Michael Grandage, at the Donmar Warehouse, London, December 2011.
- Hamlet, by Schaubuhne Berlin, at the Barbican Theatre, London, December 2011.
- Marlowe’s Dr Faustus, Liverpool, 2004.
- The Elephant Vanishes, by Theatre de Complicite, Lincoln Centre, New York, June 2004.
- Hamlet, by Calixto Bieito, in Birmingham, September 2003.